Saturday, 21 January, 2017
Thank you for visiting gilliankew.org
What is “Academic Editing”?
Simply put, it is the editing of academic papers to help authors present the best work possible and to convey their ideas succinctly. Documents are edited for grammar (which includes the correction of punctuation, verb tense, spelling, and sentence structure), accuracy and clarity.
I offer an individual editing service, primarily for second language English authors of academic papers and theses, although I am happy to consider all submissions. Please follow this link to read my abbreviated CV.
- I charge an hourly rate for documents that are longer than five pages ar and a “per page” rate for anything less than five pages, in order to be as fair as possible to my clients.
||PER PAGE RATE
|HK$ 400 per hour (standard)
||>5 pages: Revert to hourly rate
|HK$ 300 per hour (student / special rate)
||1 - 5 pages: $70 per page
|For large documents, rates are negotiable
||≤ 1 page: $60 per job
|MINIMUM STANDARD FEE HK$400
||MINIMUM STANDARD FEE $60
||10% DISCOUNT FOR STUDENTS
|FEES ARE NEGOTIABLE FOR LARGER DOCUMENTS
- My minimum charge is for 1 hour of editing time.
- I offer a free, no obligation quotation service based on a sample of the work to be edited: one or two pages for shorter documents, ten to fifteen pages for longer ones.
- The maximum cost is then calculated, according to the length of the complete document.
- For large projects, I am willing to negotiate a fee.
- Note: I do not offer a quotation services for documents of five pages or less
My Editing Style
- I prefer to edit on-screen, using Microsoft Word.
- I offer two types of editing:
- My preferred method, developed over years of practice: I highlight changes in red font and deletions in red font and double strikethrough. Any questions or comments are numbered in-text and listed at the end of the document (follow this link to view sample file). This feature clearly and visually distinguishes errors and suggestions. This editing style allows you to learn from your mistakes and reduce grammatical errors in the future.
- Using the built-in 'Track Changes' function in Microsoft Word® This feature allows you to toggle between the original document and my suggestions. This is not suitable for documents that need major revision, as the tracking can be difficult to follow.
- You correct your own work, following my suggestions. This gives you control over your final document.
Please feel free to Contact Me with any questions or comments.
Gillian Kew (SRN RMN MA) Academic Editor